Morning Moisturizing with Debbie
Our morning moisturizing routine may seem boring and repetitive, but it is a hugely necessary and important step to our overall appearance and to maintaining more youthful looking skin. It is ever confusing to know which products really work, what new trends are really worth undertaking, and in the long term what can actually help slow the inevitable aging of our skin.
New products can be very expensive and unless they are really going to be successful, why bother? But, some merchandise is worth the price.
One day, I was shopping at Blue Mercury for a lip gloss, Sugar. I like this product so much that I often give it as gifts to friends and relatives. It is fun to use and feels so good going on. That day, another lady was also browsing in the store and we began to chat. She was my opposite! Highlighted hair, lowcut v neck revealing tshirt with necessary equipment bulging underneath and tight blue skinny jeans with high spiked boots. Me, in my everyday pearls my mother gave me, just out of the pool, curly natural gray hair, loose baggy sweater over leggings and Blundstone flat hiking boots. She, a carefree spender, me carefully obsessing over how much I spend. The only thing we obviously had in common was our age. We chatted about what she and I were buying. My purchase was $22.00, hers was $125.00. I could rest my case now but then you wouldn’t know that I actually purchased her product, CE Fuerilic serum by SkinCeuticals on her recommendation. It has turned out to be one of my most favorite elements of skincare.
I have done an accompanying video to show you how and when to apply the products, but this is the hit list:
1. CE Fuerilic serum by SkinCeuticals is applied first all over especially concentrating on any areas with dark spots. It should be applied to the décolletage area as well.
2. I use Lancome Genifique serum on top of that because it creates a bit of a glow under makeup.
I give my face a bit of time for the serums to settle in and move on momentarily to eyes.
3. First layer around eyes is Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye. I dab dots all around both upper lid and lower eye area. This has a light feel and is more like an eye serum so I use it first.
4. Shisheido BENEFIANCE Wrinkle Resist 24 Intensive Eye Contour Cream is the second layer on the eyes. I dot this also all around both upper and lower eye area.
Try to use a motion from the inner corner of the eye outwards and dab lightly.
Now, back to moisturizer:
5. I take a glob of Laura Mercier MEGA MOISTURE CRÈME for normal to dry skin. This is very rich and thick and is the one moisturizer that makes me feel like my skin is taking one long quenching shlug of refreshments. I warm up the moisturizer a bit by rubbing my hands together once or twice and applying in an upward direction also focusing on the forehead, above the nose and neck area. ALWAYS UPWARDS.
6. Lastly before sunscreen I squirt a pearl size of Roc Retinol Correxion deep wrinkle filler into the palm of my hand and from there I dab on my upper lip and the furrow creases between my eyebrows. If I have any left I pat the rest in the corners of my mouth or the crows feet outside my eyes.
7. Grand finale is REQUIRED: Sunscreen. Sunscreen is a must. I like Dr Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense SPF 50 Sunsreen because it protects and also diminishes already existing spots.
Important additional notes:
a. I sometimes use more than one product for the same purpose. Unnecessary, but I feel more protected, one will work for sure if the other is lazy.
b. These are products that have been in my daily regimen for 1-2 years +. I have skin that is very dry and swimming exacerbates the redness and flakiness. Your skin is different. It took me years to find the products that work for me and it is trial and error. But, you must give a product a chance to work, at least 5 days and periodically glance at yourself in the mirror to see how it looks. Skincare is expensive so ask for samples at your local department store, Sephora or Blue Mercury. They are happy to oblige.
c. Drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, try for even more.
d. Sleep 6-8 hours per night.
(c and d are at least as important as the products we use)
e. SMILE! It takes 10 years off the top.